Amnesty International Chapter has been established, by Shahram
Hashemi, an Honor Business major student at LaGuardia Community College on
Amnesty International works
- To ensure respect for human rights
- To obtain reparation for victims of abuses
- To free all Prisoners of conscience. These are men, women, or children who
have been imprisoned because of ethnicity, religious creed, political ideology,sexuality,
sexual orientation, or simply expressing his/her views as long as they have not
- To ensure fair and prompt trials for all political Prisoners
- To end disappearances, torture and capital punishments
- To promote and protect the rights listed in the 1948 UN Universal Declaration
of Human Rights
Please be advised that AI is an impartial organization that
does not align itself with any political creed and we are not affiliated with
any political system. Also AI has a golden rule and that is that we do not work
on issues in our own country except in the US where AIUSA is allowed to work against
the death penalty and on legislative issues. The reason we have this rule is to
promote a universal concept of human rights as well as to protect human rights
defenders in their own country where it is dangerous for people to be working
on certain issues.
We look forward to making the AI Chapter in "The World's Community College"
an effective forum to inform about human rights issues and to act to protect
the rights of everyone in our increasingly interconnected world community.